Monday, May 23, 2011

Being Healthy!

So, I really wanted to start being healthy after talking with my mom about a month ago. She started seeing a clinic in Sandy to help her understand her body and why things where not functioning the way they are supposed to. Things weren't so bad that she couldn't eat certain things, she just did feel good at times... like little stomach aches, headaches, and such.

Come to find out, her entire hormone system had been thrown off. Her hormone levels where completely upside down. So, they did lots of tests to find the right diet of food for her. Now, when I say diet I dont mean.... A diet to lose weight. This diet they gave her, specific to her body, is something she should do on a regular basis to help fix her hormone levels and just be plain healthy. She started this about 8 months ago. Part of their suggestion was to also exercise a little more. So what did she do? Took it to heart! She wanted to start feeling good and stop having to tell people "sorry I cant go out tonight because I dont feel good". Not only did she start feeling better after starting a new food program and exercise, she lost about 50 pounds! She looks great and feels much better.

Whats great is that this diet she started is not something she will stop. When people say "I need to go on a diet" they think its something they can start and then stop..... then start again when they feel like they need to. They stop because they reach a goal and they have to end up starting it again. I dont get it? Why start and stop?

Anyway, what I really wanted to get to was the changes I have made. These changes I have made I plan on sticking to!

Because I came from my mom, its obvious I have some of the same genes. Some things she found out about her body is that she is somewhat lactose and tolerant. She went completely off milk and now drinks Almond milk. So, i did the same thing. I started drinking Almond milk.... but have not completely gone off of milk yet (that's because I ran out of Almond milk and really wanted a bowl of cereal so had to use milk). There was a three week time period that I was completely off milk and there was a huge difference! So, today Im going to buy lots of Almond milk and vow to never drink real milk again!

Something else I started was no sugar! Ok, so Im really just avoiding candy, junk food, deserts, etc. There is going to be sugar is some food that I cant completely avoid. Really, eat sugar in moderation. I am giving myself one day a week to eat desert or candy or junk food (again not too much, in moderation)

I'm also trying to eat in moderation foods that have yeast. Basically bread. I will not eat white bread anymore, only wheat. If I have a roll, I will only eat one.

Side note: I had a crazy experience over a year ago with yeast. I found out that I had literally become addicted to food with yeast and high starch. I went to an Herbalogist to find this out and she helped me overcome this weird problem. Not only did I overcome it, my allergies to fruit and vegetables had mostly gone away (meaning that I still have some allergies). It was amazing to taste some fruits I had not tasted in over 8 years!

Back to the whole bread thing. I was doing really great for a while, ever since the whole yeast experience... until about 2 months ago. I found myself slipping up and reverting back to the way I was. So that's why Im trying to be more aware of the situation and eat bread in moderation.

This was a long post... I know :) But there is one more thing I think I would like to share. You should watch this You Tube video! Very inspiring! You can also visit my friends blog and she has it posted..... http://www.thankyourbody.com/

Here is the video title. Enjoy!

TEDxAustin Robyn O'Brien 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment